Traditional Vietnamese food is very rich with fresh ingredients, with very little use of milk and oils. The textures are always complementary, with many greens and vegetables.
Vietnamese food is considered among the healthiest in the world. This is due to the mix between fresh herbs, meat and spices.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls are full of intense and fresh flavors, served with a peanut butter sauce that creates addiction. I guarantee that this is a dish that you will want to recreate on a regular basis.
They are so delicious! and they are much easier to prepare than it seems at first glance.
Method of serving
In this way, everybody at the table can prepare their own rolls with whatever they want. You will find the same DIY method in restaurants in Vietnam.
Preparing the Rice Papers
Rice papers can be softened in two ways:
- In a shallow plate, pour slightly warm water. Take a rice paper and dip it gently in the water, until it becomes manageable/soft. Some seconds.
- Put the rice paper in a clean, damp towel, gently pressing until it becomes soft.
Peanut Butter Sauce for Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This sauce is just amazing! The main ingredients are peanut butter and Hoisin sauce.
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-1 ½ tablespoons vinegar (or lime juice)
- 80 ml of water
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, Sriracha
Ingredients Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
- 10 Rice Papers
- The protein of choice: shrimp, sausage, chicken – cooked and julienned
- 50g vermicelli noodles (quantity of dried noodles)
- salad leaves
- coriander leaves and/or mint leaves
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
Instructions Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
- Peanut Sauce: Combine the ingredients in a bowl, and mix a little, then place the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix again until all ingredients are combined. Set aside to cool. Adjust with vinegar for sourness, with salt for saltness and add spices to taste. The consistency can be adjusted with water once the sauce has cooled.
- Place vermicelli noodles in a bowl and cover with warm water for 2 minutes, then drain (or follow the package instructions).
- Cook the shrimp, sausage or meat of your choice. Slice in half lengthwise the shrimp/cut the meat or sausage julienne.
- Remove the crunchy side of the salad leaves.
- Fill a deep dish with warm water. The plate must be large enough to fit all the rice paper at once.
- To have smaller rollers and easy to roll, cut the rice papers in half. Soak the rice paper in water for 2 seconds. If your bowl/plate is not large enough to fit the entire rice paper, just rotate it and count for 2 seconds for each section you dip in the water.
- Place the rice paper on the countertop/plate with the smooth side down.
- In the middle of the rice paper, place a few of the ingredients you want your roll to contain. For example: a sheet of salad, 1 pcs. Meat or 2-3 shrimps, 1-2 pieces of cucumber and carrot, vermicelli noodles, coriander leaves and/or mint.
- Then, from the bottom, roll up to cover the bunch of ingredients. Then continue to roll steadily. The rice paper is sticky, it will seal.
- Serve immediately with the Peanut Sauce.